The Dow Jones Industrial Average is now at its lowest point in the past 12 years.
Except its still 275% higher than it was just 20 years ago, which was about 280% higher than it was 20 years before that. So from the long term perspective, the Dow is now finally exactly where it’s supposed to be at.
While this does not restore the lost value in retirement accounts or the massive layoffs that have occurred, or any of the other immediate consequences caused by the greed that caused the bubble, it’s an opportunity to wake up and set a new, healthier course for our future.
Unemployment nationwide rose to 8.1% in February. And in California, it breeched 10%.
So that means that 90% of the work force is still employed and even in economist’s worst scenario, unemployment may climb to over 15 percent – leaving 85% of the work force gainfully employed.
While that doesn’t put food on the tables of the unemployed immediately, it means there is still business going on, and opportunities for people to find and act upon.
Reality is all about perspective. How I perceive the world around me will greatly impact how I participate in society.
In today’s economy, I need to have compassion for the pain of others and empathize with their process. At the same time, I need to remember my unique gifts – knowledge, passion and willingness that I can put to use in business and the community. When I do so, I will inevitably help others to succeed. And I will be better for it.
March 2009 Recommended Reading from the list of books that changed my life:
The Greatest Miracle In The World by Og Mandino